Across From The River Front Center, The St. Francis Xavier Cathedral Is Another Of Our New Locations.
The first Catholic chapel in Alexandria was built in 1817. It was the first church of any denomination in the city. St. Francis Xavier Church was built in 1834 on Front Street. It was located under the present levee between Bellier and Xavier Streets. Although churches of other denominations were built in the town in the ensuing years, they were all destroyed during the Civil War. St. Francis Xavier was the only church left standing in 1864 when Alexandria was burned by the Union Army.